Sunday, November 29, 2015

Resources

Today is the day to post resources for you.  If you've stuck with me for the whole month of November, you either really love me (or Abbi, Mackenzie or Rhonda,) or you are thinking this is something you might want to do in your lifetime! Which would be great!

Our mission was arranged through Global Legacy Programs. http://www.globallegacyprograms.org/ Their website leaves a lot to be desired, but you can find some basic info there and a contact if you want to arrange your own mission.

To arrange a trip to Machu Picchu, you can contact my friend, Navidad. He is on Facebook as Chris (Christmas=Navidad). His tour company Top Peru Trips can help you arrange your dream trip. He also does work with an orphanage in Peru, so he may have another outreach program that does missions, as well.

One experience that the Spokane girls missed out on was the cooking class. The people who did go really enjoyed it and gave it good reviews. They did that the first night we arrived in Cusco and we were just a little to tired for that excursion. Here is the website for that class though. Everyone who went really enjoyed it. http://www.rooftopkitchenperu.com/


Rumors swirl that Southwest Airlines would like to grow into South America, including Peru and Brazil! But until then, we flew on LAN airlines out of Miami. They are having a sale right now $529 R/T to Cusco.( Lan Airlines )

If you want to donate to Kim's mission fund, you can find it here. She also did a blog post for GLP here. I noticed there are places in the blog for donations, too. I would assume that goes directly to GLP, whereas I think Kim has control over the gofundme. Kim will be organizing another mission in Spring of 2017. I don't feel comfortable putting her contact info on here, but you are welcome to discuss with me and I can get you in touch.

The hostels we stayed at were:

Amaru I;  http://www.amaruhostal.com/
Address: Cuesta San Blas 541, Cusco, Peru
Phone:+51 84 225933

Pirwa Hostel Machu Picchu http://www.pirwahostelscusco.com/
Address: Tupac Inca Yupanqui # 103, Inca Yupanqui S/N, Aguas Calientes, Peru
Phone:+51 84 244315 *Remember to bring your own ShamWow! :)

Although, I would love to return in 2017,  I'm not one to commit to plans that far ahead. There is also another Southwest Airlines employee that goes to a Guatemala orphanage three times a year. I think I might have to experience that next. I'm sure you'll hear from me when I decide to commit to another mission.

There is an entire group on Facebook of SWA employees and mission trips they are planning. The same time that we were in Peru, a group was in Thailand at an elephant sanctuary. The group has lots of sharing of possible opportunities to help. I do believe you have to be a SW employee to join the group. It is found here.  They do have a public page that you can "like" and it has some information available for non-airline friends. This is a new group with a lot of ambitious young people. The fruits of their labor aren't yet ripe, but it maybe a good starting place?

I would caution anyone considering a mission to be careful and do your research. There is a wide range of prices for these trips. Our Peru mission was very inexpensive at $1100 per person. When you are researching, find out what the enrollment fees cover (meals, transportation, lodging, donations) and what the fund raising requirements are.

I liked going with Kim because she is very experienced in the setting and I felt comfortable that she knew the answers to some of my concerns ahead of time. Some of the mission work on the SW group page is very new and I feel a little more leery because I don't like other people's chaos. I have enough of my own! I need a good, organized leader for such an uncomfortable experience. I would recommend asking lots of questions about the actual work to be done, agendas, etc. before committing to a mission. Throughout our time preparing for this trip, Kim was very good about sending helpful resources, legitimate packing lists and detailed itineraries. I've heard stories and been witness to some less organized missions. It's a little frustrating to donate your time, energy and money to watch it being wasted away. Kind of like in Quisicancha, I suppose. The bottom line is either do a lot of your own research before you go, or go with an experienced group that will have the research done for you. It can be a distressing experience, and the best way to get through it is to be prepared and also be with a group you can trust to have your back and help you.

Tomorrow, you'll get the "B sides," or bloopers reel for our trip. Thanks for hanging in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment