Monday, November 9, 2015

Chacabamba Welcome Party


As we arrived in our home village, there were many smiling ladies greeting us at the stairway to the mud hut. There was a beautiful fresh floral arch and they threw fresh rose petals and other flowers at our heads and greeted us with hugs. It was not lost on me that the ground was quite barren. I didn't see any fresh flowers growing in the village. I'm not sure where the flowers came from, but I am certain it was very special that they had them for us.
Flowers In Our Hair--Tears in My Eyes! Glad I was Hiding Under Sunglasses!


The Chacabamba village was pretty organized for our arrival. They had tables and chairs set up and all of the residents there, most of whom were dressed in their best ponchos/dresses/head gear. A few locals stayed a distance, still in their work clothes, but close enough to hear and see the festivities. I'm not sure, but I did get the feeling that not everyone felt comfortable with our presence. 

As I looked around, I wondered what they must think of us. After all, as flight attendants we are actually trained to wear make-up. Me and my red lips, another girl in thick blue eyeliner, most of us armed with iPhones/iPads/Cameras taking photos of them like we were at an art exhibit. We wore sunglasses and ball caps, fair skinned and blonde hair, and black ladies with beautiful braids. We were quite a contrast to their weathered, tan skin, & not a bit of makeup. And, we are, in general, much taller that them.

They sat us down and performed dances for us. The Mayor and our leader gave speeches. They played a silly game. They blindfolded two ladies. The ladies fed each other soup and the first one to empty her bowl was the winner. We all, locals and visitors, laughed at the fun. 

The locals asked (many of our group, but the first to be asked was Rhonda...) to join them in dancing and Abbi danced with the Mayor! Who needs homecoming?!? Abbi did miss her first homecoming to be in Peru and that was sad. I didn't pick the dates for Peru and I didn't know when I signed on for it that it would be during homecoming. Fortunately, she is a freshman, so there will be more homecomings in the future. Although that was disappointing to miss, I don't think she will every forget her dance with the Mayor.

I cried for much of the ceremony. I was just so touched by all of the effort they had gone to, for us! I tried to keep it together, but I couldn't. I felt really honored to be included in their village for a few days. What nice hosts we had!











No comments:

Post a Comment