Sunday, November 8, 2015

Chacabamaba- Home of the Mud Huts!

We arrived around 9 AM to our home away from home, Chacabamba. We parked across the highway and took in the mud huts from the road.

I didn't see what I would've considered a mud hut. I guess my perception of a mud hut was something more like a large igloo made of mud. I was pleased to see that our mud hut actually had windows and a real roof. It was nice! 
Our Mud Hut


Fifteen of us slept in here, while the two couples shared a smaller room. You can see that the roof is made of wood and the floors in our hut were dirt. The couples hut had dirt "caulking" with wood disc tiles.
The Couples Hut- The floor was so cool!

The local people had made our beds up with fresh sheets and three blankets per bed. It should have served as a warning about the cold nights we were about to face! The mud hut was nicer than I expected but it was not heated! However, it did have one power outlet and two light bulbs. 

I never asked what the building was ordinarily used for. When I surveyed the town, I noticed they gave us one of the nicest buildings in town to sleep in. I was afraid to ask what else they used the building for because maybe someone was giving up their beds for us.

The email we got prior to our trip had one line that caught my attention and made me question what we were in for: *** We will be staying dormitory style in mut huts. There are bathrooms and you will be sleeping in a bunk bed. *** I feel there should have been a disclaimer that the term "bathroom" was being used loosely. Our bathroom had a toilet- but no seat!- and a cold water sink. No showers, and no hot water. 
Plumbed for a shower-- maybe it's on their list?

 We were armed with our own toilet paper, but I was not prepared for the endless squatting. It's a great thigh workout, I suppose. 

I don't want to sound spoiled. (Although, as Americans, we.are.so.spoiled!) But, I really missed hot water! The nights were so bone chilling cold. Rhonda and Mackenzie actually shared one twin bed the second night because they had been so cold the first. Three heavy, thick, wool blankets folded in half to make six layers of blankets and we had two sheets. Plus we slept in double pants, double socks and several shirts. Rhonda and Mackenzie slept in their newly purchased Cusco hats. And we were still so cold at night! One of the greatest things in the world to me was the thought of a warm bath! I'm ashamed at how uncomfortable I was, knowing it was for only two nights. I knew I would be home soon with my giant soaker bath. The locals live like this everyday! And it wasn't even winter there! How heartbreaking to think of what their nights must be like. It was a shameful feeling that we were using three blankets each and we were giving the locals one blanket per family. I was left with a stirring desire to do so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment