Friday, November 13, 2015

Selfies! Teenage Daughters

Rhonda's post was actually emailed to me after I did this post. It is clear that both of us felt such a strong sense of pride in our daughters. I have known Mackenzie since she was 2. Listened to Rhonda tell stories of her growing daughter. I've even vacationed with Mackenzie before. But, I feel like I really got to know her a bit on this trip. She is a determined young lady with a strong will and good conscience. She did not complain. She did more than expected of her. She shared her time and her heart with the village kids. I think she is really great. For two teen aged girls, they acted more grown up than some of the grownups on the trip.

 Of course as a mother, you always know your child is great. Even when they have a bit too much teenage sass, you still know their heart is perfect. But there are times when you see them in a different light. You begin seeing their human side. The stuff that the outside world notices that makes them special. Nobody has ever needed to tell me that Abbi is special. But, in Chacabamba, I saw her best traits shine in a new light.
The Kids Are Out of School! In the background is the wood packing/ building we were working on and some of our group.


Abbi has always been a mother hen of sorts. She was the first born grandchild on my side and one of the first on her dad's side. After Abbi was born, she got at least one new cousin every year, still continuing with the newest one being born yesterday! (I am writing these a bit ahead of schedule, but this I do know this post will happen the morning after my sister-in-law has her scheduled c-section. I can't wait to meet our newest baby!) Abbi has roughly 18 first cousins and she is the third oldest at 14 years old. You can imagine the chaos that our holidays and birthday parties contain. Abbi has always enjoyed family time, I think mostly because she got to be in charge of all the cousins. She frequently leads them in games and crafts, and usually one of each baby's first word-Abbi!
This concrete slab was visible from where we were working. Abbi set out to take their pictures.


I don't know exactly why Abbi loves little kids so much, but she always has and it's a mutual admiration. She feels very happy around little kids and Peru was no exception. Even though there was a language barrier, Abbi found a way to connect with the village kids of Chacabamba--Selfies! While Rhonda and Mackenzie were packing wood, and I was single handily building a house (just joking, of course!), Abbi was photographing. She took pictures of me working and of our group, but then she saw something more interesting. She came to me and asked if she could go 100 yards or so away and take pictures of some kids she saw playing. She was gone for probably half of an hour or more. Most of our group had returned to the mud huts. Navidad told me it was time to go, and I found Abbi in the same place, surrounded by children. It was time for a teen celebration and we headed back. But, not without a new found entourage.

The girl in the purple coat was special to Abbi. Her name is Juliana  and she is 12 years old.
Abbi loves this picture because this mischievous little guy came from nowhere and snapped the picture.
I love this picture so much! If you look closely, they were hopping/jumping.

Her tender heart for children doesn't have a language barrier. I am proud of her, always! But, in Peru, she began to shine like a diamond! What an incredible daughter I am blessed with.


No comments:

Post a Comment